6 Night Itinerary from £2,368
Private Individual Tour
Experience the Rio de Janeiro carnival on a week long city break to the Marvellous City. Enjoy an in-depth tour and privileged Sambadrome seats for the best views of the world's greatest show
Select your preferred departure date
- Experience the colour and excitement of the famous Rio Carnival
- Watch the parade from the 90,000 seat Sambadrome
- Marvel at the elaborate floats and costumes of the Samba Schools
- Get in the party spirit, with thousands of people singing and dancing all night
- See Christ the Redeemer up close and enjoy magnificent 360 degree views
- Use your time at leisure to explore Rio's natural side or relax on its famous beaches
- Choose to extend your trip with the Iguassu Falls or Buzios beach
This itinerary can be modified and adapted to your preference with a specialst advisor, who can provide a guaranteed price, based on hotels, transport, excursions and flights.
Fly to Rio de Janeiro
Take an overnight flight from the UK to Rio de Janeiro, arriving the following morning.
Introductory walking tour
Our guide will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your chosen hotel for a 6 night stay. Your guide will take you on a walk to introduce you to the area surroundings your hotel so that you can get your bearings. You will walk along the promenade of Copacabana and Ipanema beaches in order to gain a feeling of Rio de Janeiro's city life - the people, the beach culture, the apartments of the city's affluent, all that makes up the typical "Carioca" life. This short introduction to Rio (up to one hour) will help with your orientation.
In-depth special Rio de Janeiro tour
We start this full day tour by visiting the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer at Corcovado Mountain from where you can admire the magnificent 360 degree view of Rio de Janeiro - the beautiful bay, the lagoon, the famous Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon beaches and the massive granite peaks that dwarf the tall buildings. We will drive through the Tijuca Forest and past the Maracana Stadium (a stop there is optional) to the Sambodromo, the site of the famous carnival parades, to visit the museum.
Continue to the Bohemian Santa Teresa district once home to the rich and famous but where now the majestic views draw writers, musicians, artists with galleries. Its hillside location affords stunning views of Rio, and its cobbled streets add to its charming atmosphere. We stop for a lunch break (lunch is not included so that you can choose your own preference). In the old days, when Copacabana was but a swamp, the higher ground of Santa Teresa was the preferred area to live due to the cooler, fresh air so magnificent mansions were built, later to be out of favour, but many are now renovated.
We continue to the historic city centre of Rio de Janeiro, where the Royal Family lived, and walk (2 to 3 hours) through the bustling streets and stop at the Confeitaria Colombo, one of the oldest coffee shops in Rio. Visit the cathedral, the Imperial Palace, the Church of Sao Jose and cultural centre on Praca XV admiring the unique colonial architecture. Later in the afternoon we drive back to your hotel.
Rio de Janeiro - Tourist Hotel
The Hotel Mar Palace Copacabana is a modern beach hotel located 2 blocks from Copacabana beach and close to the commercial area.
The 88 comfortable rooms are equipped with sound proof windows, cable tv, air-conditioning, minibar, WiFi internet access, telephone and hairdryer. The hotel also has a small rooftop terrace with a swimming pool and bar.
Rio de Janeiro - First Hotel
A modern hotel overlooking Copacabana Beach with 233 rooms and suites, all with air conditioning, internet, mini bar, safe and en-suite bathroom with hair-dryer as well as 24-hour room service. All rooms have twin beds that can be pushed together and made up as doubles. The top floor has a wonderful view of the beach and the statue of Christ the Redeemer, a rooftop swimming pool, fitness lounge, sauna and bar for cool drinks. The hotel has a bar, a restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner with buffet and a-la-carte menus, and also offers a complementary beach service with towels, umbrellas for shade and sunbathing chairs.
Rio Carnival at Sambodromo - 1 Night
Day 4 - Rio Carnival Parade at the Sambodrome
Rio Carnival Parade at the Sambodrome
Today is time for the main event. After spending the day at leisure you will be picked up from your hotel and taken to the Rio de Janeiro 'Sambodrome' to enjoy the magnificent Carnival Parade. Here you will take your seat alongside around 90,000 other spectators, in anticipation of seeing what Rio's best Samba schools have put together during months of meticulous (and not to mention expensive) preparation. The concrete arena was designed by the great Brazilian architect, Oscar Niemeyer and features a central runway down which the schools parade, each taking between an hour and 80 minutes to complete their show. Over that time, thousands of performers will pass-by in colourful and intricate costumes, dancing and drumming in unison in the wake of immense and imaginative floats, to a constant soundtrack of live samba.
The parade starts after dinner and continues through the night and well into the following day. You may choose to stick out the whole night with the other hardy Cariocas, or head back to your hotel, with transport available every hour from 23.00 onwards.
You would typically be seated in Sector 9, meaning your seats are allocated numbers and you get a great view of the heart of the action - the drummers pause here to show off their skills and impress the judges. However, you may prefer a different sector which, although seats are unallocated, could give you the chance to sit with locals for an even greater atmosphere.
To get even closer to the action, for a truly unforgettable experience, you may wish to consider a frisa - an open-air box located along the runway. These boxes each have six seats, though you can purchase individual seats within them. They provide a close-up view of the action and immerse you in the sights and sounds of the carnival.
Wherever you choose to sit, just don't forget your camera!
Find out everything you need to know about the festivities and plan your visit with our Rio Carnival guide.
Rio de Janeiro at leisure - 3 Nights
Days 5-7 - Rio at leisure or optional tours and hikes
Day 8 - Return Flight to the UK
Day 9 - Arrive in the UK
Rio at leisure or optional tours and hikes
You will now have three days at leisure to relax, enjoy the city and pursue your own interests, though of course, you'll probably want to relax on the beach or take things easy on day 5, following your late night carnival experience. For the rest of your time, we have a number of optional tours and excursions that could enhance your trip and give you an even more in-depth perspective on different aspects of Rio de Janeiro.
- Historic Tour of Rio's Royal Palaces, Churches, Monastery, heritage botanical gardens, lagoon & Sugar Loaf Mountain
- Walking in the forest up Gavea, Urca or Sugar Loaf Mountains
- Football at the Maracana Stadium
- Private museums and art galleries
- Laura Alvim Theatre and cultural centre
- Horse racing at the Jockey Club
- Petropolis: summer residence of the Emperor and Royal Family
- Shopping for paintings, pottery, woodwork, interior decorations
- Craftsmanship of Brazilian precious stones and jewellery
- Music of Brazil: Bossa-Nova, Samba, Forro, Pagode and others
- Classical music, Gregorian choir and opera
- Three Eco-systems: atlantic forest, mangroves and the botanic gardens
- National History, fine arts, modern art, folklore and republic Museums
- Landscape Gardens & Niemeyer architecture
We also have the following options for hiking in Rio de Janeiro:
- Trek to the top of Sugar Loaf (5 Hours)
- Trek to the top of Pedra da Gavea (8 hours)
- Adventure Park "da Catacumba"
Return flight to the UK
Enjoy your morning and afternoon in Rio, before taking a return flight home in the early evening and arriving the following day.
|Travel Dates||During carnival|
|Multiple Travellers - Twin Room||£2,368||£2,586||£3,064|
Prices are a guideline and per person. Please request a quote for Special Events, Christmas, New Year's Eve & Easter.
- 9 Days / 6 Nights
- Carnival Parade Ticket (Arquibancada seats, Sector 9)
- International flights (2 overnight)
- Internal flights
- Accommodation as shown on the itinerary
- Breakfast everyday and meals as described on the itinerary
- Transfers to and from airports
- Transport throughout the itinerary
- Excursions listed, all with expert, English-speaking guides
- Prices do not include the optional extensions
Speak with a Specialist
Contact an Advisor