Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim International is Brazil's second-busiest international airport, being one of the main airport hub domestic as well as all the Americas.
From the UK you can flight non-stop to with British Airways from London Heathrow to Galeao Airport. You can also travel indirect from other UK cities with Air France, KLM via Paris or Amsterdam, Iberia via Madrid, LATAM via Sao Paulo, Lufthansa via Frankfurt, Alitalia via Rome, TAP Portugal via Lisbon and Royal Air Maroc via Casablanca.
There is a 60 minutes free Wi-Fi available throughout the airport. Simply select _RIO Galeao from your smartphone, laptop or tablet and follow the instructions to register.
The Airport is located 20 kilometres, 12 miles, from Rio City Centre.
The Vicente de Carvalho subway station Metro Line 2 is interconnected with Rio’s Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) network, directly connecting with the airport. The TransCarioca expressway also links the Alvorada Bus Terminus in Barra da Tijuca with RIOgaleão, with stops along the way at Fundão Terminal, Vicente de Carvalho and Madureira subway station.
The airport has two passenger terminals. The road the journey time to the city centre is approximately 20 minutes.
Rio International Airport offers several connecting flights to other destinations within Brazil and the rest of the Americas. International arriving passengers have to clear customs, collect baggage and then continue on to their connecting flight. We recommend minimum 2 ½ hours for connections. The passenger terminal complex consists of two separate semi-circle passenger terminals -T1 & T2 and a Pier/ Concourse. They are connected by a long indoor hallway with a moving walkway. The Gate areas of both terminals connect to each other. Both terminals are also connected by a travelator, and both are fully accessible by escalators, elevators & automatic doors
Connecting from Santos Dumont Airport:
Santos Dumont Airport is located 20 km from Galeao Airport, approximately 25 minutes taxi journey. If you are connecting from Galeao, we always recommend 5 hours minimum connecting time between the two airports to allow you time to process immigration procedures and allow for any traffic congestion.
Irrespective of the class of service passengers are flying, there are airport lounges that can be accessible by paying at the door, booking a day lounge pass or through a lounge membership program such as Priority Pass. In this guide with give you an overview of all lounges existing at Rio Galeao airport.
- American Airlines Admirals Club: Terminal 2. Airside, South Pier, 3rd Floor. Opening hours: 16:00-21:00. All First and Business Class passengers traveling on any oneworld member airlines have complimentary access. Alternatively, passengers can access for a pay-at-the-door fee of USD59 at the airport subject to availability.
- Plaza Premium - International: Terminal 2. Airside - 3rd Floor, South Pier. International flights only. Opening hours: 03:00 - 02:00. All passengers are welcome to access the lounge for a fee of £57. Click here for more information.
- Plaza Premium - Domestic: Terminal 2. Airside - 1st Floor, Mezzanine Floor. Domestic flights only. Opening hours: 06:00 -202:00. All passengers are welcome to access the lounge for a fee of £48. Click here for more information.
- Gol Airlines Premium Lounge Domestic: Terminal 2. Airside, 2nd floor, opposite gates B36-B37 Accessible to passengers on Domestic departure flights only. Opening hours: 06:00-24:00. All GOL Premium Class passengers, as well as Air France, Delta or KLM Business and First Class passengers have complimentary access to this lounge. Alternative, a day pass can be purchased for a fee of £35. Click here for more information.
- Gol Airlines Premium Lounge International: Terminal 2. Airside - the lounge is located at the South Pier. After Security Control, proceed through the Duty Free Shop, take the stairs or elevator to the 3rd Floor. International flights only. Opening hours: 06:00-02:00. All GOL Premium Class passengers, as well as Air France, Delta or KLM Business and First Class passengers have complimentary access to this lounge. Alternative, a day pass can be purchased for a fee of £35. Click here for more information.
- AEROTEL Hotel: Terminal 2, 3rd Level, Restricted area international. Opening hours: 07:00 – 22:00