Day 1 - Overnight flight to Buenos Aires
Day 2 - Buenos Aires at leisure/optional tours or excursions
The tour starts with direct flights with British Airways between London Heathrow and Buenos Aires, arriving in the morning. You will be met by your guide and transferred to your hotel in the city centre for a three night stay.
Buenos Aires is often noted as the most stylish and romantic of South America's capital cities, full of European influences but with a distinct Latin American flair. It is for this reason that Buenos Aires is known as "the Paris of South America". Situated on the historic River Plate, it is divided into distinct barrios, each with their own unique appeal.
We have a range of excursions available providing an authentic experience to enhance your stay in Buenos Aires:
- Learn about the history of Argentina through its fascinating museums
- Magnificent Architecture of Buenos Aires's historical palaces
- Art Galleries (MALBA: Modern Art, Fine Arts, Decorative Arts)
- Museum of the life of Evita Peron
- Parks of Palermo and Rose Garden
- Casa Rosada Presidential Palace, or inside the National Congress building
- Classical Music, Opera or Ballet at the Colon Theatre, or a guided tour
- Museum of Foreign Debt (worthwhile for anyone interested in finance)
- Football Match and/or tour of the Boca Juniors stadium
- Life of Pope Francis in Buenos Aires
- Jewish Community and Synagogues
- Aerial visit of Buenos Aires by Helicopter
- Shopping for leather goods including bags, belts and tailor-made jacket
Full day trips outside the city:
- Gaucho, Country Life & Estancias in San Antonio de Areco
- Day out to see a Polo Match, or take a Polo Lesson 2
- Visit the historic town of Colonia in Uruguay, crossing the river Plate by ferry
- Visit to Tigre, a small town up the River Plate, with boat trip into the Delta
Day 3 - Buenos Aires city & history tour
Today you will enjoy a special half-day tour, providing a panoramic journey around the main sights of the city and giving a detailed insight into the history of Buenos Aires and local modern life. The tour starts in the centre of the city at Plaza de Mayo, where we also find the Metropolitan Cathedral, Presidential Palace and the Casa Rosada amongst others. Following a visit to the renowned Colon Theatre, we will head south to the traditional San Telmo barrio, noted for its old-fashioned cafes, antique markets and leafy squares and parks. From here we can walk into the famous La Boca neighbourhood, where poor European immigrants used paint from the nearby shipyards to transform their humble corrugated iron homes into a brightly-coloured mish-mash of houses. The streets are further brought to life by tango dancers and artists displaying their considerable talents.
We then drive back north, from the business district of Puerto Madero up to the upmarket neighbourhood of Palermo, where we find attractive colonial mansions and pretty squares. The tour ends at the impressive Recoleta cemetery, where huge mausoleums provide a resting place for many significant citizens, including 19 former Presidents and, most famously of all, Eva Peron.
Day 4 - Dinner & Tango Show
You will have another day at leisure to explore the city, with time to take another optional tour if you prefer. In the evening you will go on a shared trip to the heart of San Telmo to see one of the most well-regarded tango shows in the city. The show takes place in a small auditorium in the basement of an historic building, offering an intimate atmosphere and excellent views from each seat. A six-piece orchestra provides the music for the skilled dancers to take to the stage to work their magic. The show mainly focuses on traditional tango, but blends in elements of modern influences and regional music from the north of Argentina. A 3 course dinner and wine is served before the show and you will be returned to your hotel afterwards.